Business Licenses

​​​​​All persons engaged in business in the City are required to have a City Sales and Use Tax Business License.  

Types of Licenses and Forms

You may apply for your Sales and Use Tax Business License online by using the following link

Sales and Use Tax Business License Online Application

​If your business has a physical location in the City, there are additional requirements for initial use tax, certificate of occupancy, and zoning approval.  

New Business List [PDF/74KB]


There is no fee for any of the licenses, and no annual renewal requirement. However, commercial businesses must obtain a certificate of occupancy inspection prior to opening. The paperwork for this certificate is included in the application packet under licensing forms, and there is a $25.00 fee required at the time the application is submitted. 

If you have questions about a building permit or a certificate of occupancy you may contact the Building Department at 303-538-7250

If your business discontinues operations in Thornton for any reason, please notify us in writing that you would like to cancel your license. 

​Special Case Businesses

Additional paperwork or licensing may be required for certain businesses such as those selling liquor, pawnbrokers, and massage therapists. Please contact the City Clerk’s office at 303-538-7230 to see if additional paperwork is required for your type of business.

Note: Engaged in Business
Businesses located within City limits are required to obtain a License even if the business is service only.

Businesses located outside the City may be required to obtain a Thornton license. Following are examples of when a license is required:

  • Selling taxable services to Thornton residents
  • Soliciting through sales or agent representatives in Thornton
  • Performing service work under maintenance agreements 
  • Leasing equipment to a Thornton resident or business 
  • Installing tangible goods in Thornton

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions, or if you are unsure of whether or not you are required to obtain a Thornton license.