Fair Housing

The Federal Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), handicap (disability), and familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18). The Act deals with the sale, rental or financing of housing, as well as any advertisements or statements with respect to housing. The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is the federal agency that administers and enforces the Act. The State of Colorado also has an Anti-Discrimination Act that protects ancestry, marital status, creed, and sexual orientation in addition to the federal protections described above.

For detailed information about the Fair Housing Act, the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act, prohibited housing and lending practices and more, follow the Fair Housing Law sections below. You can also watch the Fair Housing Video below to learn how a person is protected under the Fair Housing Act.

Where to Go for Help

If you believe that you are the victim of housing discrimination, you may contact one of the agencies listed below to file a complaint. These agencies will investigate your complaint and take the appropriate action. A complaint must be filed with the appropriate agency within one year of the alleged act of discrimination.

Mobile Home Park Dispute Resolution and Enforcement Program: Beginning May 1, 2020, the Colorado Division of Housing will take complaints, conduct investigations, make determinations, impose penalties, and participate in administrative dispute resolutions when there are alleged violations of the Mobile Home Park Act. The complaint forms for the Mobile Home Park Dispute Resolution and Enforcement Program are now available on the Division of Housing's website in English and Spanish.

Denver Metro Fair Housing Center: The Denver Metro Fair Housing Center provides information and assistance to individuals who may have experienced or have questions about housing discrimination. For information about discrimination or fair housing law, or for assistance in filing a complaint, you can visit their website or call them at 720-279-4291 to speak to a fair housing specialist.

Colorado Civil Rights Division: You may file a discrimination complaint directly with the State of Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, Division of Civil Rights. The Division accepts and investigates complaints jointly filed under both Colorado and federal law. For information about the Colorado Civil Rights Division, you can visit their website, call 303-894-2997 for English or Spanish speakers, or for hearing impaired by dialing 711.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): HUD is the federal agency responsible for administering the Fair Housing Act. Within HUD, the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity is the office that receives complaints. To file a complaint, contact the Denver HUD Fair Housing office at 1-800-877-7353 or HUD's Discrimination Hotline at 1-800-669-9777. You can also fill out a discrimination complaint online through HUD's website. HUD will investigate the complaint at no charge to you. If you are hearing or speech impaired, you can reach the HUD Fair Housing office through the TTY service at 1-800-927-9275.

Updated 11/3/2021