Recreational Vehicle Permit Information

Do I need a permit?

The city of Thornton does require a permit to park recreational vehicles, motor homes and any type of trailer in the public rights-of-way in residential areas.  You are permitted four 72 hour permits per year. Municipal Code 38.430 goes into more details if you would like to know more about the code.

How to register.

You will first need to register.  We have an instructional video provided that will walk you through how to register.

Now you are ready to get registered.  Once you are on CityView Portal home page you will need to look for "Register" and follow the step by step form.  Once you have completed your registration you will not have to register again.   

How to Apply for your permit.

  • Click on CityView Portal
  • Click on "Portal Home" 
  • Under Building Department you will find "Apply for an RV Permit".  You can now sign in using the email address and password that you set up when registering.  Follow the prompts to fill out the form.  We are also providing an instructional video and step by step instructions to help you fill out the portal form.  Please have your recreational vehicle registration and driver's license ready to upload.  Once you have submitted your application it is routed to staff for approval.  Your permit will be emailed to you once it is approved.

If you have any questions please contact Code Compliance at 303-538-7517 or email