Short-term Rentals

Short-term rentals are a form of temporary lodging where all or a portion of a home is rented for less than 30 days at a time.  Many people are familiar with this concept under the marketing names of Airbnb and Vrbo, although there are dozens of other similar platforms.

UPDATE:  On July 14, 2020, City Council gave final approval to the ordinance that will allow short-term rentals in Thornton with specific conditions and requirements. A copy of the ordinance can be found under the Featured Links section (right-hand side of this web page).

Next Steps

Several preparatory actions are now required in order to implement the approved ordinance, which is effective on February 1, 2021.  These include, but are not limited to, selecting a private company to assist with monitoring and related processes, preparing all forms, and configuring the process for accepting, reviewing, and issuing licenses.

Information on when, how, and where to submit license applications will be provided on this webpage, when available.