Long Range Planning
Thornton is a fast growing city — one that will continue to expand northward in the decades to come. With this growth comes the responsibility for careful planning. Thornton's Policy Planning Division, in concert with the City Council and citizens of Thornton, oversees this long range planning.
About the Policy Planning Division
Thornton's Policy Planning Division works on long range planning issues to ensure that growth meets the needs and vision of the community. Specifically, Policy Planning is involved in the following:
- Amending, updating and implementing the Thornton Comprehensive Plan and associated plans to ensure the well-planned growth of the city. Policy Planning evaluates development plans for consistency with the City’s Comprehensive Plan and associated Master Plans and Area Plans.
- Preparing special studies and long range planning documents including Master Plans and Subarea Plans for the City of Thornton, such as Station Area Master Plans, the Eastlake Subarea Plan, and the North Washington Subarea Plan.
- Providing analysis on regional and intergovernmental issues, and new legislation. Policy Planning represents the City on a variety of committees dealing with these matters.
- Developing and maintaining an extensive statistical database for the city including analyzing census data, inventorying the existing building stock, tracking new development, developing population estimates and identifying growth trends.
- Working with metropolitan districts to ensure that their service plans are in compliance with City Code and Colorado State law.
- Implementing a number of measures to increase the efficiency of its facilities and systems through Thornton Sustainability (www.thorntonsustainability.com)