traffic signal

​​Traffic​​​​​​​​​ Signals & Signs

The Traffic Division provides traffic engineering and operation services for our citizens. The goal is to provide and advocate for a safe, efficient transportation system for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicle drivers. 

​To request traffic signs or pavement markings, to report damaged or worn out signs or pavement markings, to request a study to determine if a new traffic signal is needed, or to report operational issues at an existing traffic signal, please contact the Traffic Engineering Division. 

Traffic Signs and Pavement Markings

The city of Thornton Traffic Engineering Division maintains the traffic signs and pavement markings. Signs are placed in compliance with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, State statutes, and city ordinances.


The city of Thornton maintains 169 traffic signals and is adding approximately three per year. Traffic signals are installed only after meeting warrants established in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices published by the Federal Highway Administration.

The traffic signals on Colorado Boulevard, Holly Street, Huron Street, Thornton Parkway, Washington Street, 84th Avenue, 88th Avenue, 120th Avenue, 128th Avenue, 136th Avenue, and 144th Avenue are on coordinated traffic signal systems. The traffic signals along 104th Avenue are also coordinated but maintained from I-25 to Irma Drive by the City of Northglenn.

The traffic signal map is updated as new traffic signals are constructed and can be found under “featured links” on this page.

Traffic Counts

The city of Thornton collects data about its streets continuously. The data includes 24-hour counts, turning movements, pedestrians, speeds, and consultant data. The city’s 24-hour count map is being updated quarterly and can be found under our featured links on this page. For traffic count or speed information, please email or call the Traffic Division at or at 720-977-6490

The counts shown on the map are bi-directional. The label shows the most recent count and the year the count was taken. Data will be displayed when you zoom in on the map or click on a street segment.

Small Cell Permits

The city of Thornton, much like other communities across the nation, is receiving requests from an increasing number of wireless service providers and wireless infrastructure companies to install small cell facilities in the right-of-way. The right-of-way is essentially where the road, sidewalks, and landscaping adjacent to the road reside. Additional information about small cells and permits can be found here.

Traffic Control Permits  

The city of Thornton requires traffic control permits for items that affect pedestrian or vehicular traffic flow. Such permits include, but are not limited to:

  • Block Parties 
  • Parades 
  • Street Closures 
  • Work Zones 
  • Dirt Haul Routes 
  • Oversized Vehicles
  • Dumpster/Storage Container (Pods)/Roll-offs

The minimum review time for complete traffic control permit applications is 5 business days.  All permit applications must be made through Online Permit Applications under the featured links on this page. Traffic Control Permit fees may apply.

All work in the roadway related to development must get a traffic control permit from City Development. An online application for a traffic control permit from City Development can also be made through Online Permit Applications under the featured links on this page.​

Street Light Issues  

Streetlights are installed after city approval and maintained by Xcel Energy, United Power, or the city, depending on the area of the city. Please call 720-977-6490 to request that the city investigate the need for a street light(s). To report outages or damage for street lights owned by Xcel Energy, please call Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-4999 or go to www.xcelenergy.comFor street lights owned by United Power, please contact United Power at 303-637-1350 or go to www.unitedpower.comFor street lights owned by the city, please call 720-977-6490 or submit a My Thornton request.

Featured Links