Becoming a City of Thornton Firefighter
Persons interested in becoming a city of Thornton firefighter must submit an online job application DURING the posting period to be considered.
The position is currently posted, and we will be hiring at least 12 new firefighters in 2021! The application deadline is Friday, March 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM Mountain Standard Time. The EMT/B or higher certification and the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certifications are due by Friday, April 23, 2021 at 5:00 PM Mountain Standard Time.
Testing and Screening
Examinations may include but are not limited to application screening beyond minimum qualifications; written, oral, practical exercise or any combination thereof or other job related assessment deemed appropriate by Human Resources.
To learn more about our recruitment process, please email our Human Resources Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The city of Thornton Fire Department requires the following to become a firefighter:
- High School diploma or GED
- Current EMT/Basic or higher medical provider certification, EMT-P is preferred
- Current CPAT Certification
- Valid Colorado Drivers License with a safe record (out of state license accepted at hire, Colorado license is required within 30 days)
- Pass entry level oral board examination
- Successful completion of the requirements for Colorado State Firefighter I or higher certification within one year of entry-on-duty
To be notified with a position becomes available, simply complete a job vacancy notification card from the Employment page of the City's website. Search for and Select the Firefighter IV/III/II/I job description title. Click on the option, Email me when jobs like this become available, and complete all the requested information. When the job is posted externally within the next 12-month period, a notification email will be sent to you and then you will be able to apply online.