Becoming a City of Thornton Firefighter
Persons interested in becoming a city of Thornton firefighter must submit an online job application DURING the posting period to be considered.
Applications are currently being accepted. The deadline to apply is Friday, January 14, 2022. Click here to view the posting and apply.
Applicants for any recruitment process are required to provide their EMT/B or higher certification and the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certifications by January 28, 2022. It is best to already have these certifications completed prior to the application process.
Testing and Screening
Examinations may include but are not limited to application screening beyond minimum qualifications; written, oral, practical exercise or any combination thereof or other job related assessment deemed appropriate by Human Resources.
2022 Estimated Recruitment Process Timeline:
Application Deadline: Friday, January 14, 2022
Application Review: mid January
EMT and CPAT Certifications Due: Friday, January 28, 2022
In-person interviews: January 31st - February 4th, 2022
Contingent Job Offers: early February
Fire Academy Begins: beginning of April
To learn more about our recruitment process, please email our Human Resources Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The city of Thornton Fire Department requires the following to become a firefighter:
- High School diploma or GED
- Current EMT/Basic or higher medical provider certification, EMT-P is preferred
- Current CPAT Certification
- Valid Colorado Drivers License with a safe record (out of state license accepted at hire, Colorado license is required within 30 days of hire)
- Pass entry level oral board examination
- Successful completion of the requirements for Colorado State Firefighter I or higher certification preferred, but required within one year of entry-on-duty
To be notified with a position becomes available, simply complete a job vacancy notification card from the Employment page of the City's website. Search for and Select the Firefighter IV/III/II/I job description title. Click on the option, Email me when jobs like this become available, and complete all the requested information. When the job is posted externally within the next 12-month period, a notification email will be sent to you and then you will be able to apply online.