Recreation Programs, Facilities & Events
of happy faces at this year’s Lions Club Relays!
hosted by Parks, Recreation and
The 35th Annual Lions Club Relays were held Sunday, May 5 at Five Star Stadium.
City of Thornton Recreation Staff works with Adams Five Star Schools and the
Thornton Lions Club to present this event which has been an annual tradition since 1984.
A total of 22 elementary schools (1,474 runners) competed in 89 separate heats of
4 x 100 meter relay races, the Star Strutter's Unified Races, and the prestigious
Mayor's Mile races. Thunder Vista Elementary School was new to the relays this year
and historically swept both the boys and girls divisions of the Mayor's Mile!
The boys winning time was 5:01:23 and the girls were at 5:12:47.
A total of $1,474 will be donated to the Thornton
Lions Club which is used to pay for eyeglasses, exams and other vision
related services for low-income children in need within the local community.
The Thornton community has long seen the value of safe and welcoming neighborhoods along with parks and open spaces where they can recreate, relax and enjoy time with family and friends. Through the use of our quality programming, our parks and our recreation facilities, the Thornton Recreation Division provides safe, supervised activities for residents of all ages.
Thornton residents have the opportunity to enhance the quality of their lives by participating in our fitness programs, sports activities, a wide array of enrichment classes as well as special events and festivals, all created specifically to form a place for neighbors to gather.
Thornton’s Recreation Division takes a great deal of pride in honoring the Community Services Department’s Mission Statement in everything that we do and provide for our citizens.
The content of which is as follows:
- Enrich the quality of life by creating places for neighbors to gather.
- Promote safety, health and wellness.
- Foster human development
- Provide diverse programs and leisure services designed to meet physical, mental, cultural and social needs of the community.
- Establish and preserve a connected system of parks, trails, open space and facilities for the present community and future generations.
- Develop and facilitate an enriched environment of artistic, creative and cultural activities.