New Residents, Welcome to Thornton
Just Moved to the Area?
Here is some information you may need immediately:
- To start your water service, contact the Thornton Utility Billing office at 303-538-7370 or email
- There are two public energy providers for gas and electric service, depending on your address: United Power or Xcel Energy. See the Electric & Gas Utility section of our website for contact information.
- Trash & Recycling services are offered by private companies and the city of Thornton.
- For information about a United States Post Office close to your home, call 1-800-275-8777 or visit usps.com.
New Neighbor Resource Guide is a downloadable pdf that provides resources and referral information that may be useful for those who are new to the area.
- Thornton residents now have access to the City 24/7 through
My Thornton. This service lets you access dozens of "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs) or you can send a personalized service request or report a concern.
Thornton is a home rule city operating under the council-manager form of government. The City Council consists of the mayor, elected at large, and eight council members, two elected from each of the city’s four wards.