The Traffic Division provides the traffic engineering and traffic operation services for our citizens. The goal is to provide and advocate for a safe, efficient transportation system for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicle drivers. 

​To request traffic signs or pavement markings, to report damaged or worn out signs or pavement markings, to request a study to determine if a new traffic signal is needed or to report operational issues at an existing traffic signal, please contact the Traffic Engineering Division. 

Traffic Signs and Pavement Markings

The city of Thornton Traffic Engineering Division maintains the traffic signs and pavement markings. Signs are placed in compliance with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, State statutes, and city ordinances.


The city of Thornton maintains 158 traffic signals and is adding approximately three per year. Traffic signals are installed only after meeting warrants established in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices published by the Federal Highway Administration.

The traffic signals on Colorado Boulevard, Holly Street, Huron Street, Thornton Parkway, Washington Street, 84th Avenue, 88th Avenue, 120th Avenue, 128th Avenue, 136th Avenue, and 144th Avenue are on coordinated traffic signal systems. The traffic signals along 104th Avenue are also coordinated, but maintained from I-25 to Irma Drive by the City of Northglenn.

The traffic signal map is updated as new traffic signals are constructed and can be found under out featured links on this page.  Use the pan and zoom functions in Adobe Acrobat Reader to view a particular location.  Note, this map is formated for a 36-inch by 48-inch print size.  Information may not be visible if printed at smaller size.

Traffic Counts

The city of Thornton collects data about its streets on a continuous basis. The data includes 24-hour counts, turning movements, pedestrians, speeds, and data provided by consultants. The city’s 24-hour count map is being updated quarterly and can be found under our featured links on this page. For traffic count or speed information, please email or call the Traffic Division at trafficengineering@cityofthornton.net or 720-977-6490

Counts shown on the map are bi-directional.  The first number shown at each location is the count. The second number shown is the year the count was taken. Use the pan and zoom functions in Adobe Acrobat Reader to view count information at a particular location.  Note, this map is formatted for a 36-inch by 58-inch print size.  Information may not be visible if printed at smaller sizes.​

Small Cell Permits

The city of Thornton, much like other communities across the nation, is receiving requests from an increasing number of wireless service providers and wireless infrastructure companies to install small cell facilities in the right-of-way. The right-of-way is essentially where the road, sidewalks, and landscaping adjacent to the road reside. Additional information about small cells and permitting can be found here.

Traffic Control Permits  

The city of Thornton requires traffic control permits for items that affect pedestrian or vehicular traffic flow. Such permits include, but are not limited to:

  • Block Parties 
  • Parades 
  • Street Closures 
  • Work Zones 
  • Dirt Haul Routes 
  • Oversized Vehicles

Minimum review time for complete traffic control permit applications is 5 business days. All permit applications must be made through Online Permit Applications under the featured links on this page. Traffic Control Permit fees may apply.

All work being done in the roadway that is related to development must get a traffic control permit from City Development.  An online application for a traffic control permit from City Development can also be made through Online Permit Applications under the featured links on this page.​

Street Light Issues  

Street lights are installed after city approval, and maintained by Xcel Energy (formerly the Public Service Co.) or United Power depending on the area of the city. Please call 720-977-6490 to request that the city investigate the need for a street light(s). To report street light outages, please call Xcel Energy directly at 1-800-895-4999 or www.xcelenergy.com or United Power at 303-637-1350 or www.unitedpower.com.

Featured Links